Tide Water Adaptive Lessons
TideWater Adaptive Aquatics Center offers 20-minute, private (one-on-one) lessons, as well as a swim team (30-minute group practice), specially designed for children with disabilities. To qualify for adaptive lessons participants must be ages 3-18 and have an IEP. At this time participants with 504 plans do not qualify for adaptive lessons.
Participants sign up for an 8-week session and swim once per week in the day and tie of your choice. We have two locations to choose from. We ask new adaptive swimmers to sign up for private lessons, which teach water safety and beginner swimming skills. Proficient, or water safe, swimmers are asked to join the team to gain stroke mechanics instruction in a small group setting.
Tide Water Adaptive Swim Team
TWAAC currently offers a swim team at RiverWinds Community Center for swimmers who have graduated from our water safety program or who meet the team qualifications.
To qualify for our adaptive swim team, an athlete must demonstrate both appropriate behavior and skill level. Our guidelines are as follows:
- Swimmer must keep hands, feet, and objects to self.
- Swimmer must demonstrate “active listening.”
- Swimmer must demonstrate the ability to follow directions.
- Swimmer must be able to swim one lap independently with face in the water.
- Swimmer must be able to float on back independently.
- Swimmer must be comfortable in water where he/she cannot stand.
To qualify for competitive opportunities with Middle Atlantic Swimming, swimmers must have an IEP, be members of USA Swimming, and have a completed eligibility form submitted to Coach Amanda.
Inclusion Invitationals Tentative Schedule
- 2019 dates COMING SOON!